We are so excited to add this digital key to our key fob modification line up! We’ve been working closely with our manufacturer over the past seven months to ensure the quality of the physical components meet our expectations here at Gates Innovations and excited to finally start the Early Adopter process!
Note: This may appear sold out until you confirm that you've read through the details below using the Yes/No buttons. The delivery schedule section applies to those who ordered in March. Orders placed in April are expected to ship late May. Orders in May are expected to ship in June.
Early Adopter Details
- Please understand that this is a pre-order.
- See below for estimated timeline and delivery schedule.
- Please understand that this is a modification service.
- This is a 1 to 1 modification and the donor key you send will no longer work afterwards.
- The donor key must be properly working with your vehicle prior to sending to us.
- We are unable to create duplicate keys.
- Please understand that the modified key you will be receiving through this pre-order is considered an Early Adopter product and is not a polished Final Product Release*.
- The physical key design is considered complete and will not change in the Final Product Release.
- The software is currently controlled by our Manufacturer, however we have a paid agreement in place that allows us to make changes. These software updates can be done by the customer via computer and provided USB C Cable. When available, Early Adopters will receive the latest firmware via email prior to the Final Product Release.
- The Early Adopter run is typically 6-8 months where we hope to capture your feedback and experiences, both good and bad, to make any final changes prior to the Final Product Release. We want to ensure that customers have the best possible experience when we officially launch.
- All E Chassis with Comfort Access
- All F Chassis
- All G Chassis
- Supra A9X
- Submit your Pre-Order.
- We will notify you via E-Mail when it’s time to ship your key to us and will provide a ship to address.
- Customer to cover initial shipping to us, however we will cover return shipping for all orders within the Continental US. International customers will be charged for return shipping at checkout and will be shipped via UPS International Expedite.
- Because this is a newer process for us, we will not be offering an expedite service add on.
- Once we receive your key, we first test your key to ensure it’s working properly and then proceed to check your key into the work queue.
- Our estimated turnaround time will be 2-6 business days once we receive your key.
- We perform the modification service here at Gates Innovations and put your key through final tests to ensure that it’s properly working.
- Once complete, we ship your new Digital Key that’s ready to go out of the box with no programming needed on your side.
Digital Key Details
- Sleek design with Gorilla Glass
- Built in 450mA Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
- USB C Port for Charging and Software Updates
- Physical Side Buttons: Screen On/Off, Unlock, Lock, Trunk
- On Screen Buttons: Lock, Unlock, Trunk, Alarm, and Previous Menu
- Button functionality, comfort access, vehicle feature coding, and dealer key scanning will continue to work as expected. Thus, no loss in existing key features.
- This Digital Key does not have a physical key. Comfort access will continue to work even if the battery is dead for up to 1 year.
- Modified Digital Key
- USB C Cable
- Wireless OBD Adapter – For future features (not needed to use your new key)
User Experience Expectations
- Processor and Touch Screen
- Because this is the first version of this key, a more economical processor and touch screen was chosen to keep costs down. You will notice slight delays in screen on time and swiping from screen to screen.
- Please understand that these are not like modern cell phones with 120Hz OLED screens.
- Planned User Interface (UI) Changes
- On screen alarm button (diamond shape) to be changed to what’s currently on BMW key fobs (red alarm).
- Ability to upload a custom image to be used throughout menu screens.
- ‘Comfort Access’ title with a clean On/Off Toggle Switch.
‘Windows Up/Down’ title with a clean On/Off Toggle Switch.
- ‘Owner’ title with contact details.
- ‘Setup’ to update Signal Sub Titles.
- All Early Adopter keys comes with a 30 day warranty.
- If the Early Adopter phases are successful and we move into a Final Product release, Early Adopters will automatically qualify for our limited lifetime warranty currently offered on all of our Key Fob Modification Services.
- You can request for a full refund at any time during the pre-order process if you have not sent your key in to be worked on yet.
- Once you send your key in, there are no refunds available.
Estimated Timeline and Delivery Schedule
- Digital Key components are in final production stages at our manufacturer with an estimated completion date of March 16, 2022.
- Based on previous experience, we expect these components to arrive to Gates Innovations by March 25, 2022.
- Early Adopter Digital Key will have a beautiful Gloss Black surround finish. The product photo on this product page reflects our prototype test color, however once we receive the new components, new photos will be uploaded.
- Assembly, programming, and preparation of all digital keys for modification at Gates Innovations by April 8, 2022.
- E-Mail Early Adopters to send in their keys on April 8, 2022.
- Packing material prepared by April 15, 2022.
- Keys begin to arrive the week of April 11, 2022.
- First wave of keys shipped the week of April 18, 2022.
- Note: Please understand this is an estimate. However, we are currently on track to meet the above dates.
*We cannot guarantee an official Final Product Release date or that a Final Product Release will occur. However, we are passionate and excited for this new offering and are working diligently on improving various aspects of this Digital Key to move towards a Final Product Release.
- In the event that a Final Product Release does not occur:
- Refer to Early Adopter Warranty.
- Hardware and Software updates will not be supported.
- What will the price be at the Final Product Release?
- Between $375-$425 depending on OBD Features.
- Do you offer key cutting service for the new key?
- No, this digital key does not have a physical key.
- Are your key's OEM or Aftermarket?
- The housing is Aftermarket. We work closely with our manufacturer to ensure that we provide the highest quality product possible.
- How much does the new key weigh?
- Your new digital key will weigh around 82.5g
- Will you send my donor key back and will it still work?
- Yes, we'll send your donor key back. This is a 1 to 1 modification, thus your donor key will no longer function after the modification has been completed.
- Will everything still work like before?
- Button functionality, comfort access, vehicle feature coding, and dealer key scanning will continue to work as expected.
- Do I need to program/code the new key to my car?
- No, your new digital key will function right out of the box.
- I only have one key, what are my options?
- Purchase a new key fob remote through your local BMW dealer prior to sending your key in for the modification service. You can purchase the key fob remote portion without the physical key.
- Is this safe? What happens if you break my key? How do you know my key works before you send it back?
- Because there is a human element in the modification process, a risk is going to exist. However, we've completed over one thousands keys without a single catastrophic loss. If we were to damage your key beyond repair during the modification, we would reach out immediately and cover costs associated with purchasing a new key through your local BMW dealer and also refund your modification service purchase.
- We test your key for functionality prior to performing the modification service. We use a software defined radio to read out each button press, which we capture in HEX format, to confirm initial functionality. Upon completion of the modification, we confirm each button press matches the original captured HEX strings during the initial functionality test.